It’s Easy To Use Your BlueCare® HSA!
What is a health savings account (HSA)?
This is your own personal savings account that is funded by either you or your employer. This account must be paired with an HSA-qualified high deductible health plan: BlueCare QHD PPO or BlueCare QHD Custom PPO. HSAs are a way you can save, tax-free, for qualified medical expenses like deductibles, copays, coinsurance, dental and vision costs. Any funds you don’t use for medical expenses can earn interest and grow to build up your retirement savings.
How does it work?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sets the amount you can deposit into your HSA each year. You can save up to the full amount, even if your health insurance plan deductible is lower. You must pay your deductible, but the HSA is meant to cover that cost. In addition, use your HSA to pay for any other qualified medical expenses you may have. How do you pay? It’s easy…either use your HSA debit card or set up an online payment that is sent directly to the provider or as a reimbursement to you.
Benefits of an HSA
- The money you deposit into your HSA is not taxed*
- You earn interest, tax-free, on your HSA balance*
- The HSA funds you use for qualified medical expenses are not taxed*
- Your HSA balance rolls over year after year
- You own your HSA, even if you change jobs or retire, and can take it with you
Help when you need it
HealthEquity, our account administrator, provides support that includes:
- Customer service phone line 24/7, 365 days a year and helpful online tools and resources
- View account balances, check claims and request payments/reimbursements on the website
- You can also access your account through Self-Service at bcnepa.com. Just login and click on the My Coverage tab―it’s simple!
For more information on your group’s specific BlueCare HRA, please talk to your employer.
Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania provides FSAs, HRAs and HSAs that are administered by Health Equity, Inc., an independent personal health care financial services company not affiliated with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.