Dependent Coverage to Age 26
All health insurance plans that cover dependents must make coverage available to children up to age 26, regardless of whether the adult dependent is married or a student.
- The provision does not apply to the child of a dependent (e.g., grandchild).
- Grandfathered group health plans are not required to cover adult dependents who are eligible to enroll in other employer-sponsored group health plans.
- This provision was effective for plan years beginning on or after September 23, 2010.
- Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania decided to close the gap and made dependent coverage available even earlier for individuals and fully-insured group plans, starting on June 1, 2010.
- This coverage is also available, but optional, for customers with self-insured plans.